Many people think of what I call a military field knife when they discuss a survival knife. Like most things military it needs to be extra rugged. Mad Dog Knives owner suggests a Cold Steel SRK for a field knife until someone learns what they want as an individual. My picture of a survival knife (now that combat is in the LONG past) is what is now described as a Bushcraft knife. The Mora is an excellent example. Blade from 3 to 5 inches, strong but not a prybar, reasonably easy to keep sharp, etc. My current carry blade in the field is a Buddy Small Game 3.5" custom damascus blade. Could I baton with it? I suppose so to a limited degree, but I would be very reluctant to baton with any knife if it was my only one. It will certainly do all the other things noted by Quick_joey_small and all the everyday things you would need to do with a knife in a survival situation. I would much rather have a machete (in appropriate terrain)or small axe (at very little additional weight) for cutting and splitting larger material if that was necessary.

Respectfully,

Jerry

p.s. The old woodsman's addage that the one tool you need to survive is an AXE still holds true if survival is more than waiting for rescue in a day or two.