Its an interesting topic.

People who enjoy food (and can cook) should be able to come up with varied and interesting dishes given basic ingredients.

Cooking is, or can be, great therapy and a distraction from other routines; especially if you consider a fairly aesthetically severe environment like a long space trip.

I’m sure there are survivalist folk around who have stocked thousands of MREs and tins of food, but I do wonder how they would fair if they were forced to live on them for a prolonged period. Such foods (and supplements) may meet your nutritional requirements, but I see very little joy in any that food (I’ve just spent a weekend eating commercial freeze dried “meals” – I’m sure you know the type).

I know in some of the Antarctic stations, food and cooking, is the highlight of many people’s day and a lot of attention is given to variety and interest in food to keep people motivated and interested.

I think food is more than just sustenance, it is an important social and personal event. Think of your favourite foods and for many, the smells, taste as well the preparation and sharing with good friends and family are all equally important.

Often a question like “What one thing would you bring to a desert island ?“ is asked. On a trip to mars (or Hawaii), you could do worse that bring your favourite recipes. (And a nice bottle of wine)