Originally Posted By: Krista
I'm probably nowhere near as prepared as others here, but something that I've found that helps me is to keep a notebook (or folder on your computer) where I keep track of new things I learn, things I want to learn, advice, etc. When you start reading through all of the helpful websites, it's sometimes easy to find yourself following the links into a huge variety of subjects. So I literally take notes, so I can know what subjects I want/need to revisit. Also, your printer is your friend! When I first started into 'preparedness', the first thing I did was make copies of all my important documents. Then I printed out a bunch of different information about purifying water. I keep everything organized on my computer, but hard copies are important so for that everything is in a 3-ring binder, so that I can add to it as I go.

Also, it's easy to get overwhelmed! So I second Chaosmagnet's advice of deciding what and how long you are preparing for. I think preparing for 3 days worth of power outage is a great start.

Thats a great point. I had a spare Flight Crew Checklist Binder, plastic, very malleable 3 ring binder of clear plastic sheet protectors. When I print something out like homemade washing detergent, triage, knots, maps, etc, I just tuck into the sleeve and go. Easy to update and change up.