Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Byrd..i swear by that fire paste,every spring a buy a new tube and take it with me on the canoe trips.i like it because you can use a dab or a big blob depending on how much starting you need.with a heap of birch bark a bit on a edge helps things along fast.with the dry, but wet from the rain,black spruce twigs and branches a nice big squeeze of this stuff will get a fire going.it works great to pre-heat stoves.it's fast to use,no scraping or fooling with gizmos just the touch of a match will do it.i don't take a sparkier for everyday use so i don't know about that.i was using the Army heat tabs but a hold in the foil and they went to dust.other tabs were burning uselessly after the fire was going and wasted.i like candle stubs if it looks like it's going to be a really hard start but the fire paste gets 90% of the use.
by the way i'm in for the BW in early June this year.i hope i don't have the storms i had last year and can have a fire rather than huddle in the shelter in every bit of clothes i have.

I went to the local Fleet Farm yesterday, and they were out of Fire Paste. It's 6:00AM here and pretty cold this morning at 10F and I'm loading up on coffee and then heading into the woods with my daypack in an hour. I wanted to try the paste to prime my alcohol stove and to light some wet tinder (if I can even find any wet tinder).

The state weather forecasters are starting to rumble about drought this spring. They say the soil is the dryest in 30 years. If that keeps up, we will not be able to light campfires or even use stoves in the northwoods. Theres a lot of timber blow downs all over the state, and the huge Pagami Creek fire last fall has everyone spooked.