Originally Posted By: hikermor

Frisket mentioned potassium permanganate and glycerine. The combination works very well, but I wonder what happens if the two substances get together accidentally. I just don't want to find out how well my pack burns....

The PP doesn't know if it's an accident or not! grin When the two meet, there's gonna be some fire. GoingGear.com sells some capsules of PP, they really appear to be just plain old gelatine capsules! I wouldn't use them for any reason! eek I keep the PP in one BSB (baby soda bottle) and the glycerine in another one, and I keep them isolated with some stuff in between them. Probably the BSBs seal plenty tight enough that it's not an issue, just playing it safe.

One other method I'm contemplating is the PP in one sealed aluminum fob and the glycerine in another with both stacked into one tube. Just have to make certain there's no leakage, but realistically both would have to leak to cause issues.

I'm purchasing a large commercial style chamber vacuum sealer within the next week or so (a Vacmaster VP-215C). This will seal retort pouches. I expect it will give me a few more options for packing PP & glycerine.