Originally Posted By: ILBob

Never had to actually use it for emergencies though. I am kind of amazed that anyone would have had 10 emergency situations where they needed a fire in their life.

You definitely won't,as long as you don't make a career in the National park Service or volunteer for SAR. Don't climb any mountains either.

Just a bit about matches. The normal garden variety matches available in the 60's and 70s were much better than what is available now. Today a mini-Bic is my normal igniter, with REI Stormproofs, or equivalent, as a backup. I solved the problem of keeping the fire going in pouring rain and other epic storms by simply carrying a gasoline stove, which was the first item I bought when I signed up at REI. Now I carry a canister stove fairly often. We have eaten warm meals in 80 mph winds on Denali, using a well sheltered stove (yes, we cooked in the vestibule).

You can keep a fire going in adverse conditions by building it big, much bigger than it needs to be, shielding the flames with big logs and bark, etc. and working very hard. A very handy implement is a short length of 1/4" rubber tubing. You can fan coals and incipient flames wonderfully and speed the blaze along extraordinarily well with this gadget. A stove, any stove, is soooooo much better than an open fire in any but ideal conditions. Pay attention to Hiking Jim - he speaks with straight tongue.

Frisket mentioned potassium permanganate and glycerine. The combination works very well, but I wonder what happens if the two substances get together accidentally. I just don't want to find out how well my pack burns....

Another great technology for fire starting is a carbide lamp, but those are just about extinct these days. Too bad - both heat and light, and fairly lightweight.