Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've been eyeing this wallet for RFID blocking. I have several cards which are RFID enabled.

I've never been a fan of the clamshell-type RFID-blocking wallets. It's like having a second smartphone in your pocket.

You can also buy RFID-blocking plastic film that is cut in the shape of a dollar bill. Slip that into your normal billfold and it should prevent theft via RFID of anything inside the film. Or if you only have a few RFID-enabled cards, you can buy little envelopes/sleeves to protect them in.

Except for proof-of-concept experiments, I can't recall ever reading about a real RFID theft, particularly one that involved multiple thefts. Seems that old fashioned hardware skimmers are still a bigger threat in terms of the number of ID thefts. Just recently, the Lucky supermarket chain in Northern California discovered that two dozen of its stores had ATM terminals with card skimmers installed inside them so they went undetected for a long time, until a technician was doing routine maintenance on a unit and discovered a problem. The chain estimates 500 customers were affected before they caught it.

Until someone can point me to an article that says at least 500 people have had their info stolen by RFID, it's still a lesser risk than skimmers.

And besides, the really big thefts are done without any customer actions at all. Doesn't matter how careful or sloppy we are or whether we shred our mail. By hacking databases or data streams between merchants and credit card processors, thieves vacuum up credit card info on thousands and thousands of people. That's the real threat.