Nighthiker,
I haven't heard any follow up, and really didn't pursue it. I asked the officer at the time if I needed to sign anything or go "downtown" to file charges. The officer said that I didn't and he was going to charge the guy with a number of offenses especially since the officer and hospital security had ordered the guy to leave just prior to my run in with him.

I've thought about following up to see what happened and have decided to let it go. It was legally a minor issue and my goal of getting him away from me and staff was accomplished. Cognitively, the guy wasn't running on all 4 cylinders so I don't think he was going to "learn" anything.

As to motivation, I can only guess. The odd thing is if he wanted to get into the hospital, he could've just walked 50 yards around the front and gone through the main doors. So there was something that triggered his impulsive response (robbery opportunity as I had just let a lady in the door, it was chilly out and he wanted someplace warm and was already told to leave by security,...)

I appreciate all the words of support from the forum, and really wanted to provide an example of why "practice,practice,practice" is so important for all of us.