Originally Posted By: Russ
...Why do they always relate preparedness to "survivalism" and TEOTWAWKI? Subculture of Americans prepares for civilization's collapse

I find myself in agreement with much of the article. Please note that the article does not say the only form of preparedness is survivalism. It specifically addresses TEOTWAWKI folks. This is the more newsworthy variety of preparedness. There indeed is a subculture, with a particular psychology, a particular view about how the collapse of society may come, etc.

Let's be honest: why would a reporter write an article on why you stock some flashlights and batteries for power outages? We don't have to feel bad just because a Reuters article misses out on people (like us) who practice common sense. Like everyone else, we just want to get through earthquakes, power outages, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, riots, etc. The only difference is that we think ahead, we are picky about our tools, and we like posting about our hobby. Oops, did I just use that word? blush

What I find interesting is not so much the rise of preparedness industry -- that makes sense -- but the rise of accessories for preparedness. You need a special bag to keep all your EDC tools organized, and you want it to be tactical, too? Maxpedition Pocket Organizer will help you out. You need a special shelf to keep your #10 cans and help you rotate the foods? Shelf Reliance to the rescue! Special cleaning tools for your tools? Go to CountyComm! Hey, how about some tactical bacon?

Note I do not mean to endorse any of the products mentioned above. The accessories seem to be an extension of the preparedness mindset. Everything has to be nicely organized, with purpose-built accessories.

This reminds me of the gun industry. Some companies sell "tactical" gadgets that no civilian will really need. Here's something for fun. Check out especially all the junk on his AR. The tactical beer bottle opener mounted on the rifle is probably the best thing ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9QxE3sUaw