What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

There are many things I'd like to do, but I'm staying realistic. My goals for this year include:

1. Get healthier. 'Nuff said.

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas? (Edit: I'd appreciate recommendation for retail sources, brands, & products. Thanks!.)

3. Take a course in first aid. I'm looking into the Red Cross first aid/CPR/AED course (6 hours total), or the 3-credit semester-long course at the local college. I'm also thinking about getting some training for handling gunshot wounds, with the eventual goal of learning to assemble and use a blowout kit.

4. Maybe get a HAM license. I'd like some way of communicating with the outside world when the cell phone towers are down, when the power outage knocks out internet, etc.

What about you?

Edited by Bingley (01/21/12 06:32 AM)