Originally Posted By: Pete
I agree with the comment that it's not as easy to be accurate as these YouTube videos make out. I've been using a standard commercial slingshot against a dartboard (target) from about 7 yards. The shots are going wider than I would like ... they're all on the dartboard, but by no means on the bullseye. I'm thinking right now that to improve accuracy I should shorten the distance between the prongs on the slingshot, and maybe lengthen the bands a bit. This should reduce the angle of error for each shot. We'll see.

I didn't check the YouTube, but if it's that slingshot guy in Carolina - that man is simply amazing. :-)

Doug's comment about difficulty in killing small game might be right for critters like rabbits. A slingshot would work well for small birds, and probably squirrells as well.

Pete2

I have harvested rabbits and squirrels with my hunting slingshot (I have small backpack model, a mid-sized folder, and a big extended-fork hunting model), but to everyones point, I have missed some too.

The trick of aiming is to select a draw point with your right hand (if you're right-handed) and always keep it there. That might be near the right jaw or cheekbone. You aim with the slingshot hand, using the center of an imaginary line between or slightly below the top of the forks...practice will dictate. The bands must be of equal length and power (sometimes one band will develop thin areas near the fork, especially when used in cold weather). Keeping the slingshot facing square to the target, using spherical ammo, and keeping the ball centered in the pouch are important.

And like Bacpakjac says; practice, practice, practice....

I wanted to see if I could stun a fish in a shallow creek with a heavy 12 mm steel ball. I went out into the woods this weekend and found a stream with 9" creek chubs, but I blustered up to the creek and they were extremely skittish and fast and I didn't get off a shot.