That makes sense, but I'd like to point out one thing:

Charring green hardwood and scraping away the char works fine for forming a hardened point - in fact, the whole reason I taught my kids that was to make a point in a robust stave when they were too little to manage that carving with an age-appropriate blade and their musculature at the time. I have no experience with what would happen if the point was carved and then charred, but I expect that it would result in a more parabolic tip rather than a sharp one - maybe even blunter than what results from starting off "square". See my earlier post - that's what our experiences have been.

I'm sure that what you wrote is right-on the money w.r.t. a pre-carved point. And to reply to Pete's last post, no I have not tried this with flat forms. I suppose that a freshly carved blade from green wood would respond to what you wrote, although I wonder about warping.

Oh - one other charring experience I can relate - carving a spoon or bowl from green wood by using the char-and-scrape method DOES result in a more durable artifact as well, in my experience.

For what it's worth...

Tom