Originally Posted By: nursemike
Televison survival shows are about marketing, brand awareness, and viewership. Expecting good advice from such is unwise...

+1 Nursemike.

Similar to what I had posted earlier. There's been a lot of great and informative comments made so far.

But regarding the original question about whether image harms the message for this particular TV show, I think that's not the right question to ask because I don't think the aim of the TV show is to convey or promote an accurate message about survival (or Cody's philosophy of survival) any more than the reality show Survivor's message is to show how to survive out in the wild.

With just about any TV show, image is the goal--good, bad, or ugly doesn't matter as long as it draws viewers. The message/content is almost irrelevant. I mean, how many shows about "survival" have we seen come and go that espouse some really outrageous, ridiculous, dangerous, or impractical things over the years.

And plenty of nice folks end up appearing like jerks on TV, and often that's a deliberate choice in how scenes are acted, how situations are set up, in the editing, etc. (I have no opinion about Cody's personality in real life because I just don't know him.) People like to dislike people on TV (e.g. the simultaneous disgust/fascination so many have with the weirdos on Jerry Springer-type shows) or to see fireworks on camera. Maybe Cody's role on the show is supposed to be the lumbering Neanderthal vs Dave's cool, ex-military persona who rags on Dave and saves the day?