Looks like they're trying to blame navigational error caused by an engineering casualty -- Power blackout could have caused Italian cruise disaster

Hmmm, when I turn my truck off the cheap (by cruise-ship standards) Garmin Nuvi asks me if I want it to keep running or shutdown, Yes or No -- then a 30 second countdown starts which ends with the Garmin shutting itself off -- otherwise it continues running on battery. My other GPS receivers run on internal batteries (AA/AAA) only and they can run most of a day without having to change those batteries. I don't want to second-guess the cruise ship industry, but just about any cheap handheld GPS loaded with nautical charts could have shown them to be way off course.

Back before GPS nav became the norm, a ship's Captain was held responsible for hitting things and running aground regardless of things malfunctioning. Things malfunctioning was the Captain's responsibility too. With a crew of 1000, I find it amusing that these ships have no apparent back-up to ship-powered GPS. Amusing and sad.