Well, I don't know much about Cody's courses but some U-tube clips ( lost in Arizona desert & Lost in Nova Scotia ) shed some light, and I can say I was NOT impressed.

But in any way, if he was indeed master of survival, he really downgraded himself in Dual Survival. It looked like Dave was really stuck babysitiing Cody. Only in a few cases I was 100% on Cody's side like when he warned Dave from "stealing" honey from a bee hive. In most other cases, I think Dave saved the day. And this opinion comes from a passive guy who is a tree hugger like Cody.

In a few cases , Cody had to swallow his pride and cover his freezing , bleeding knees with some hide. And it was Dave who pointed that to Cody and was always worried about him.

The worst thing - IMO - that Cody did was to do "tasteless" stuff like burbing everytime he ate something, or drink water squeezed of his socks (although other water was available). It was OK to add a few laughs around the show, but that should have been split between the two.

I would have expected Cody to seriously take an advantage of the show to furthur promote his philosophy of "the more you know, the less you need". That would have really made a marvellous show. He did that a few times like when he made a shelter that Dave admired, but in most cases, he was a drag, IMHO. If the show director has put him in that role, he should have refused, and if he has put himself in that role, I think at least he should have provided alternatives to Dave. Poor Dave, was struck with him in most situations.

Remeber the episode when Cody got sick ? They were in the desert where he has most expertise, and it was expected he would be helping Dave in that episode, but ....

Remeber the episode when they found a truck in the middle of nowhere, and Dave was trying to trap to trap some animals but Cody was insiting to keep banging on the truck for "attention", causing the animals to run away !!!

Was that him or the producer ???
Either way, he downgraded the primitive school , IMO.