Originally Posted By: thseng
there are two distinct "schools of thought".

I concur. I fit more into the modern technique school of thought, but I would love study more of the primative skills. It's like learning defensive shooting skills, but no unarmed or medical skills, or being a programmer but not knowing how a hard drive works.

What I get uncomfortable with is when an instructor goes too far into one or the other. Modern skills does involve turning a surplused M113 into an RV, but.. yeah, no. Likewise, the "you have a knife and a pair of pants" school of thought is just extremist.

On the topic of Lundin, he's kind of a mixed bag. Philosohphically, I agree with a lot of what he says, and when he's not playing a charactiure (sp) of himself he's not in the knife and pants school of thought. Still, I want shoes on my instructor. I've stepped into and on things I wouldn't otherwise be able to, and been very glad to have them. That, and I hate hot weather, a desert would pretty much end me.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.