This is the reason I joined up to this forum smile Well thought out level headed thinking is hard to come across anymore on the net.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'd be pretty surprised if Cody has convinced the lemmings to march en masse, and barefoot, off a cliff

There is a reason they are called lemmings wink

Originally Posted By: Chisel
I also lean more towards Dave philosophy than Cody's but Cody has made it very clear , repeatedly, that he doesn't expect others to do what he does. He said that he trained himself for years to go barefoot and it is not something others should simply follow. So, IMHO, he has done his part.

What I saw in Dual survival is that it was Dave who saved the day repeatedly.

As Bacpacjac Stated The Do as I say not as I do Attitude is very difficult to accomplish especially with the way Cody acts on the Television show. I often get the feeling he comes off as "Im gonna tell you not run out barefoot but hey look how much better Im doing then him in this situation" Which as an example is rare in the show since he is usually slowing down or completely changing the course of travel simply from this. Not to mention his constant "Im transforming Dave to be like me" attitude.

I also agree that Dave Saves the day Multiple times. I feel Daves Idea Is "Survive to get rescued is the main goal do what you need to get out" And Codys Idea is "Survive to be one with mother nature then rescue may come soon or w.e it doesnt matter let me eat my Bugs and Berrys"

Originally Posted By: Dagny

I thought Cody Lundin's books were well done. On his website, he talks about the "Dual Survival" show and that viewers should beware:

http://www.codylundin.com/survive_tv.html

I honestly think today While TV may not Convey the truth it speaks louder then Books.

He mentions Jacques Cousteau in the 60s But Did he forget in the 50s he was hell bent on learning by destroying?

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Because Cody's attitude is so different from the survival show norm it's not only entertaining but offers a different perspective - because Cody handicaps himself the way he does he has to approach things in a different way. Knowing about a different approach can give you options and options are good.

While I Completely Understand and believe in what your saying towards learning about difference approaches I dont think its very smart to deliberately handicap oneself when life is at stake and displaying this form of thought while at the same time teaching to survive sounds contradictory.

Originally Posted By: Arney
It may not come out in the show, but to me, Cody is more about living in the bush while Dave is more about surviving the bush and getting back to civilization.

100% agree.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I too would love to be able to study under Cody Lundin. There aren't a lot of people with his depth of knowledge and experience with regards to aboriginal skills. Probably the only guy I'd rather train with would be Ray Mears. He's also skilled in the primitive stuff but I like to wear shoes! grin

I Highly Suggest Checking out some of les strouds work outside of survivorman, "Off The Grid" and "Snowshows And Solitude". laugh

Originally Posted By: buckeye
So, to your point about "Harming the message", I think if people let themselves fantasize or perhaps romanticise that they could just be like Cody, I would agree that they would likely be in for a rude awakening, or, unfortunately, much worse

Which is exactly my point. Its hard to think the people who set off to copycat Man Vs Wild Or Survivorman do anything but Fantasize about such things.