I have read two of his books (two of the first I ever read on kit building and preparedness) and found them insightful. I find Dual Survival more entertaing that most other shows on TV (though it's no Survivorman). I imagine myself more like Dave (heck, we're both from southeasten Ohio and he's like a lot of my old high school buds).

I'm a bit torn when considering Cody's philosophy. As others here have noted, I feel he's provided ample disclaimer on not to follow his lead re: his almost lack of preparedness -- at least gear-wise -- what I would almost call a lack of common sense (like I or anyone I know would go on a hike without shoes, Really?).

But, at the same time, I can appreciate and respect his choices. When faced with a significant, perhaps long-term hardship, I think Cody is well prepared, especially from a knowledge standpoint, from his daily minimalist lifestyle. Say the grid goes down for an extended period, no relief is available, I doubt Cody would even notice. Does he even need much money? He could probably susbsit for years starting out with $1,000.

A couple thing I've taken away from the show are:
  • Knowledge is key. Knowing how to make the situation bettter with whatever you can find is invaluable. (Cody)
  • It's still smart to have some basic equipment ahead of time and be experienced in how to use that equipment. (Dave)

I feel that since most of us probably don't have the luxury of being prepared in that way of life and with the level of experience Cody has, we would certainly notice. I have no idea if Cody has a wife or family, if he does, I am sure he had his lifestyle before he had them, so they knew going in what they would be accustomed to.

I know much of my preparation is as much or more to support my wife/kids/immediate family rather than my personal well-being. Having to work at a "regular" job daily to make ends meet, having a wife (who also works outside the home) and kids to provide for, kids to put through traditional school and college, a mortgage to pay (way too much mortgage given the way the economy has fallen), a car loan to pay, insurances, ever increasing taxes and tax rates to contend with.... and then somewhere along the way I decided I better start preparing for some level of self-sufficeincy.... it's like I''m in so deep, I just want to survive another day.

So, given that I have basically set goals to keep my family fed and sheltered, get my kids educated, and maybe get a little enjoyment out of life along the way, should natural disaster or whatever threaten that, it's a lot more costly for me to preare than someone like Cody.

So, to your point about "Harming the message", I think if people let themselves fantasize or perhaps romanticise that they could just be like Cody, I would agree that they would likely be in for a rude awakening, or, unfortunately, much worse.

To your point about balance, I think many will see it that way. I've certainly concluded quite a while ago, it's not a matter of either / or, or which one is wrong or right. Rather's it's how we blend the knowledge with the tools.

Actually, isn't that often an underlying theme of many of the discussion here, especially when wanting to help those new to the forum, that it's both; knowledge and equipment? One without the other is meaningless to me - a waste of time and resources. So, I think for many people who tune into the show purely for its entertainment value, they may not quite "get it" and I would like to see more emphasis in the show on pounding home the idea that it's got to be both.

A good way that I've found to convy it, and it's how i got my wife to start supporting my (now our) efforts to be a bit more self-sufficient, is to disucuss it in terms of insurance (something I had to be taught long ago). This was a woman who literally used to complain if I bough an extra can of baked beans or soup to have on hand. "it wasn't on the list" is what I would hear as she looked over the grocery receipt. Being so frustrated, I finally discussed with her about all the insurances we had: home, car, health, life, disability, etc. When she agreed that they were valuable, then it was realtively eas to say, should we have some "food insurance", a few extras now and then to have on hand. We've been able to build from there.

Perhaps, for what it's worth, the show could build on that.

Regards,

buckeye

P.S. This post is why i don't respond much, I tend to ramble on quite a bit. Apologies, but it's late, I'm tired, it's been a long year already (yes, I know it's only the 11th day) and when I get this way I tend to wax a bit philosophic.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.