I chose an HTC Incredible 2 last year when I went to a smart phone. I am on Verizon and I needed a phone that would work internationally, the Incredible 2 does that. It is only 3G but that is fine for me, I seldom need the speed and besides 4G is very limited coverage with all the carriers at present. Android needs some setings tweeked to improve battery life. My battey will last about 5 days of normal use, it is not checking my email every 30 seconds either!

There are a couple of reasons I did not consider an iPhone, battery cannot be replaced by the user, no Flash content, everything is an extra cost option, Apple never gives anything away they can charge you for. The main reason though is the Apple hype that has been their method since the company started. They beat their drum about the capabilities and the reality is they seldom deliver, or they offer function as an add-on, extra-cost item.

Whatever you chose, consider a good case that protects the phone. I have an Otterbox Defender, there are plenty of available protection options out there. Best of luck with the new phone when you decide,