Local knowledge is less than reliable. There is a notion that the East side of my city has far more crime than the West side. "It's practically a war-zone." The truth is crime is about equal on both sides. This misinformation is perpetuated by the paranoid residents of West side of the city.

I see all sorts of problems with this.

1. What does 'bad' mean?

2. Is it updated in real time? Crime happens in spurts and a temporary danger zone can crop up anywhere.

3. If I get mugged on a route deamed 'safe' by Microsoft, can I sue Microsoft for leading me into danger?

4. Can business owners listed as a being in an 'unsafe' area due to an isolated crime incident be damaged? I see groups of businesses filing class action suits for damages caused by misinformation.

5. It's not the place that's dangerous. It's the people that are dangerous. Crime happens where opportunity meets criminal. Criminals don't stay in one place waiting for Microsoft to identify them and put a mark on a map.

6. Do you really need an app to manage your walking route because of the weather?

7. Your wits and your own situational awareness are far more effective tools for keeping you safe than any electronic gizmo that pushes information to you.

8. The distraction your smartphone creates might be enough opportunity for a criminal to get the advantage over you.