I'm late to this party.

I just got on the smart phone bandwagon about 3 months ago. My advice is to buy whatever is on sale - my Droid X2 was $50 after rebate b/c the Razr is coming out. What plan do you have?

An iPhone is typically easier to use, it's just a bit more intuitive and refined (remember, they've been out 5-6 years already). Android is a small bit clunkier, but still as functional. Little things, like the keyboard isn't quite as sensitive, auto-corrects a bit too quick, doesn't rotate screens as you rotate the phone quite as quick as the iPhone. On the other hand, you don't have to deal w/ pesky iTunes if you have an Android. While there probably are more apps on iPhone, honestly, having several hundred thousand either way is more than you'll probably need ...

I'd skip Blackberry unless there's a real compelling reason.

Durability is a concern of mine too. I bought a case that's ridiculous - plastic clamshell, covered by a rubber outside. It nearly doubles the phones size (not weight) but does well. After a few months I'll probably take it off and just put it on if I expect more dings than usual (airport travel, etc).