Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
This thread is of great interest.

I am in the process of swapping my so-called dumb phone (Nokia candy bar phone) for a so-called smart phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace). My wife has the same Samsung model and loves it.

The compatibility of wall and car chargers, batteries, etc. makes a lot of sense. The text-friendly features are handy and practical. The price is reasonable. The wifi feature could be useful on occasion.

But I am reluctant, and skeptical. My little Nokias (I have several handsets now) have proven themselves tough, reliable, and stellar in one crucial area: the ability to punch out a signal and make phone calls. Especially in fringe and mountainous areas.

For example, one of my favourite campgrounds is well off the beaten path in a national park. The official park sign says there is no cell service available. Maybe to some; but my little Nokia has two bars. This matters, and I'm loathe to give it up.

At the risk of hijacking, I would appreciate the input of other forum members.

Many new smartphones are standarized to micro-USB charging port, and some can take an external antenna via connector.

Also, if your Nokia takes SIM card you can always have it charged and take with you, and swap it when necessary. It can still make 911 call even if it has no carrier.