Originally Posted By: Bingley
The fantasy world of The Walking Dead means something to us because it speaks to the issues of the real world. A show about a fantasy world that means absolutely nothing to us will not attract any audience, because we simply will not be able to relate to it in any way. We will be bored by it. Instead, we want to see things from our lives play out in new ways that are not possible in the real world.

I guess the larger relevance to the tenor of our forum is that even in such a lawless situation, there may still be ethics, as long as there are people, and ethics may be shaped by our prior acquaintance of the law.

The show probably has different appeals to different people. I, for one, could do with less gore, but there is obviously an audience for maximum zombie gore.

I relate to survival situations, no matter the impetus.

You're right about personal ethics. How much of that is shaped by the legal system in the pre-zombie world and how much is upbringing in family situations that stress morality or personal adherence to, say, the Ten Commandments, would be an interminable debate.

Most people don't commit murder and other heinous violent crimes because that is not in their nature, not because to do so would be illegal.

Though I might have mowed down a couple jaywalkers if that were legal....

The Zombie Scenario takes survival to a whole different level. It's one thing to worry about starving, freezing, dehydration or being shot.

It is quite another to be faced with being eaten alive, and not by mosquitoes.