Originally Posted By: Bingley
I think the difference here is moral courage. Shane has the courage to survive, sure, and the willingness to do whatever it takes. But Rick has the will to survive with moral courage.

I agree with this, but think that there is more to it than that.

It's not just that Shane is holding to a different set of moral standards than Rick, its like he has a completely different agenda as well.

Shane's insistence on killing the zombies in the barn really made no sense and served no purpose other than to drive a wedge between Hershel's clan & the group. Earlier Daryl recognized there was no point killing an immobilized zombie, that it was a waste of resources and effort and frankly I agree with that assessment.

It's like Shane has it set in his head that they should be out on the road, fighting for survival and that path will somehow lead to the ideal ending that he's envisioned (no Rick maybe?). He's willing to risk the group's safety to satisfy his vision of the future.

It can't just be that he wants to get to the Army base; I can't for the life of me believe that he thinks a government run refugee centre (which in all likelihood doesn't even exist) would some how be better than where they are now.

It seems to me that the safety & security of the farm is blocking him from his desires, whatever they may be.