There is lots of interesting comments on here since my last response.

Bingley-you mentioned when Daryl hallucinated his brother after falling. The actor who plays the brother (Michael Rooker) was a guest on the post show and talked about why/how all that was taking place in Daryls mind and his morph from redneck to hero.

Dagny, there is a great zombie 2 book series called Day By Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne. Its considered the best series of the genre. The protagonist is a Naval officer (flight) and the book is written like a diary. The author has him on a boat or dock more than once and gives a convincing reason why its not always the best course of action.

Not to give much away, as the tv show is not the same as the comic, but many of you have mentioned the Mad Max on the run mentality verse the defensible position. In the comics, they come across a couple communities like Hershel's farm, that make a large scale defensible position and use it for a time. To keep the story moving the place is usually run by a despot or insane person. I think right now, they are actually at a small town that is cordoned off, like at the end of Will Smiths I am Legend.