Quote:
Two rescuers rappel down from the chopper to get him and his dog out.

FYI: The media got this one wrong, they were lowered by hoist.

As things would have it, I was out of town for this event. There was discussion within the team as to the risk/benefit of this operation and I have discussed the operation directly with our Team Leader. We have our monthly drill/meeting this coming Monday and I am sure we will discuss this operation further.

The discussion to lower two rescuers to the lost hiker was made based upon several factors, none in of themselves would normally justify the insertion of the rescuers, but taken together led to the decision. Without going into too much detail, our team trains intensely for these types of events and the insertion itself was typical of our training. The team or member being deployed, the pilot and flight medic run a risk analysis before the hoist deployment and decide if the risk is worth the benefit. As the Frederick County-ATR Team, Assistant Team Leader in charge of MSP-HEAT Team (Maryland State Police-Helicopter Emergency Areal Tactical Team) Operations, I fully support the decision made and based upon the information I was given, I would have made the same decision.

I cannot comment on the preparation or decision making process by the victim, since our team was involved in the operation, it would inappropriate for me to do so.

Pete