Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Short Hills nice??? NAW.....it's probably among the richest and glitziest suburbs in the country! I guess the money fairy smiled on you Haertig.

I don't remember being rich at all. I think we were more middle class. I was a kid when we lived in NJ and my dad was a colonel in the Army back then. I don't think that makes for much money. Maybe there's more than one Short Hills? I remember we had friends in some other towns named Mapleton or Maple-something-or-other and in Milbern. And when we went shopping on base it was at Fort Monmoth. So we were in the Short Hills near those places, probably not the ritzy one. Or maybe it wasn't considered ritzy 40 years ago? Since moving away those many years ago I've only been back once. I flew into Newark and by looking around that area I thought the whole state must be paved in asphalt. Then I took the train to Princeton where I had some training classes for work. That was a beautiful area back then (around the time President Reagen got shot - I remember seeing that on the news when I was there). Lots of trees as I remember - just the opposite of the big city feel of Newark.