Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
As for the more greater risk taking vs familiarity of the area that one may be more familiar with, I don't fully agree. Over the years, I have found that I take less risk as I know the areas I go to on a regular basis can be brutally unforgiving if you push the risk envelope.

Note that I said ".........people who are highly trained and experienced sometimes tend to cut their margins thinner and thinner." Some people get overconfident of their ability to manage risk, and some people get more careful as they learn how great the risks are.

Like you, I have gotten much more conservative over the years. In my case it was a combination of things. Regarding avalanches, as I've learned more I've realized how tricky and unpredictable they can be. As both of these cases in Canada demonstrate, even people with a lot more expertise than me sometimes make mistakes, and people die. If both a Whistler ski patroller and a CMH heli ski guide can get it wrong....then I obviously need to be even more conservative.

Also, I have participated in several avalanche body recovery missions over the years. I've seen first hand the effects on the family and friends of the deceased. I don't want to put my loved ones through that.