I have carried one Leatherman or another on my belt for almost 20 years, so over time I have aquired several of the models.

I have settled on two that fit my needs: the Supertool 200, and the Wave original model....I have a new Wave also, but like the old one better, just a personal preference. I carry the ST 200 only when I am in remote areas, as it has the necessary tools and is more robust but much heavier than the Wave.

With a little luck and shrewd research, there are still great bargains to be had on eBay. You really have to study the pictures, and avoid any that don't have detailed shots, or those who post the pictures from the Leatherman site. You also need to look for the bane of all vintage knives: broken and reshaped knife or tool tips and grinder marks or heat blueing.

The tools will be with us forever, but the original leather sheaths are starting to get rare. A good one can affect the price. I bought a couple of extra sheaths while they are still availble and tucked them away.

Bottom line: There are no bad Leathermans. Buy any one of them in good condition with a decent sheath and take reasonable care of it, and you will have an heirloom quality tool.