This story is getting national headlines. A group of skiers went into the back country and 3 of them got caught in an avalanche and one person paid with his life. The incident happened yesterday afternoon and 2 of the surviving skiers went for help and although the details are still sketchy at this point, the 2 came across some other skiers who had a SAT phone and were able to call for help. The lateness of the day yesterday along with weather and high risk to SAR teams delayed rescue efforts until early today where upon they found that one skier who got swept down the avalanche succumbed overnight to trauma injuries.

I would not think even having a SPOT or PLB would of been of any help here as again, the time of day and weather would of still prevented a rescue.

The back country here is at extreme risk and in the past week, there has been numerous media reports and advisories to stay out of the back country.

"Unfortunately this is an example of the extreme, extreme risk in the backcountry area of British Columbia. The avalanche risk is high. The warnings have gone out. Unfortunately this gentleman paid with his life," said Thiessen (RCMP Sgt.)

I know the area very well and have hiked and camped nearby many times. Also several of my pictures I have posted here, have been taken in the general area. This is a rugged, steep and unforgiving place to be anytime of the year.

In this link, Mt. Caspar is in the middle. There is a highway just to the north of the mountain where I would surmise that SAR staged from.

News Link 1

News Link 2

News Link 3

News Link 4

John Lubbock