Originally Posted By: Dagny
In Minnesota this time of year, I'd need a Sherpa.

We're slated for our first "Arctic blast" to hit next Tuesday (high temp of 32, low 25).

And here I'd always thought Minnesota was a cold place. Currently sitting in my garage having a smoke while surfing the web. It's 27*F now, heading down to the low 20's tonight. Not the first time we've seen these temps this season in the hills of NJ. With fuel oil at $3.50/gallon, winters are expensive. Seriously considering a pellet stove.

Last winter we had plenty of nights in the low teens, even a few straddling 0*F (that is -17.8*C for those playing the metric version). I tried camping one night in 4*F weather. Gave up and slept in the Jeep, ran the engine on and off for heat.

My gear might be rated for zero, but my body doesn't believe it. I've got a thermal sleeping bag liner and an AMK bivy. I haven't tried-out the bivy, but trying to stay wrapped-up in one of those silver blankets while sleeping is impossible for me.

In the cold I think that using a space blanket as a reflector behind you to reflect heat from a trench fire is probably a more effective use. And something to insulate you from the ground is a good idea.