On vacation and I spent the day on foot in a remote area of the Northwoods of Minnesota. I was backpacking and hunting small game with my trusty old Remington .22 pump. I walked miles back along old logging trails. It was windy, 26 degrees F and there was about 3" of snow.

As I have confessed before, I pack heavy. I had a weeks worth of redundant emergency provisions in my truck, but in addition to layered seasonal clothing and light pac-boots, here's a list of what I carried with me on the trails and a few learnings.

On my person:

Leatherman Wave
Camillus clip knife, large, one hand opening, part serrated
Hugsby P-31
Bic
27" bandana
Magellan GPS
cellphone
rifle and 150 rds ammo

On a lanyard clipped to my beltloop:

firesteel, compass, Fox whlstle, fauxton light, Vic Classic

In rucksack

Mora MG Clipper
Becker BK-7
Fiskars retractable saw
Trangia 27, 6 oz alcohol, potstand, windscreen
Coleman Max cooking pots, Coleman coffee cup
Steel bottle and 27 oz water
Remington headlamp
50' 550 paracord
1/2 roll TP
map
bic and firesteel
Ramen soup
tuna in foil
peanuts and sunflower seeds
Constant Comment and coffee tubes
oatmeal
cocoa mix
fork and spoon
military 72" x 24" headwrap
Hot Hands
full PSK...too much to list, but just fits in a quart zipper bag
Extra gloves, scarf, winter hat, socks

Way back in the pines, I found an old campsite that some deer hunters had used. The ground was windswept and relatively clear of snow. While I was waiting for my water to boil, I amused myself by seeing what I could find that might be of use had I lost my rucksack and been in a survival situation.

Found:

4 feet of bailing wire,
1 'S' hook
1 foot of cordage,
two 3' pieces of plywood
a quart bottle
4 small nails
25 softball-sized rocks in a ring
a pile of pre-cut and split pine wood

Game animals seen = 0, but a lot of tracks. I attribute that to the wind.
Other people seen = 0
fresh vehicle tracks on the forest road = 0
planes overhead to signal = 0

So, with only the items on my person, I could have used the found items to make a shelter and a fire with a reflector, and melt snow for water. Would have been hungry though.

Things I should/should not have done:

I should not have worn my lightweight Maine Hunting boots....even with heavy socks and 4MM wool felt insoles, feet were borderline cold all day.

I should have worn my LaCrosse Icemans. Harder to walk, but much warmer and better snow tread.

I should not have left my sunglasses in the truck. It was cloudy when I set out, but an hour into the hike, the sun came out and glinted off the snow, nearly blinding me.

I should not have eaten 4 figs before heading into the bush.....