I've always carried extra clothing and insulation in the Jeep, but due to storage constraints I only kept a pair of trail runners for extra footwear.

This spring I loaded-up for a 4-day off-roading trip and set-off wearing a pair of Sanuk slip-ons. I had actually taken the trail runners out of the truck, intending to replace them with my Solomon hiking boots. I get to our first trail, around 40 degrees and raining, the first obstacle is stream crossing then a steep 300-yard long rock gorge, complete with running water and three "marbles": 18" to 30" diameter loose rocks. This was what we call a technical trail, meaning you spend as much or more time outside the rig checking obstacles, stacking rocks and, often, winching. This is the point where I discovered I'd forgotten the Solomons. It was a miserable day spent mostly inside the Jeep with cold and wet feet.

That night, after finally making it to our campsite, I drove an hour each way to a Walmart; the only store in the area that was open late and sold footwear. I paid $40 for a pair of Herman's Defenders hunting boots. They were pretty much the only acceptable option available in my size-13. I didn't expect much, but was very pleasantly surprised that they were warm, comfortable, and most important, waterproof.

Having learned my lesson well, the Defenders are now permanently at home under the rear seat of the Jeep.

I have saddlebags mounted inside the rear cargo area of the Jeep, above the wheel wells. The driver's side has a packable Gortex rain jacket and pants, sil-nylon rain poncho, an old synthetic fleece zip-up hoodie, merino wool base layer (in a large zip-loc bag), two pairs of insulated gloves and two polar-fleece toques. (The passenger-side is reserved for food and water purification.)

Then I have a dry bag strapped to the rear-driver's roll cage (lesson learned -- don't ask). This has 1 each synthetic boxer-briefs and T-shirt, nylon running shorts, Polartec pants and half-zip shirt, Wool/Silk hiking socks and silk liners. There's another dry bag in my GHB strapped behind my front seat that has the same plus a second set of underwear, t-shirt, socks and liners.

I'm a big guy. In this case its an advantage because whatever spare clothing I have is pretty much guaranteed to fit on any passenger as well. He (or she) might look ridiculous swimming inside my spare clothes, but will at least be warm and dry.