Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
There's a lot of debate on whether these kinds of products even work at all. For example a person would be wrapped up in one of these, but their bottom would be sitting on a cold rock which would act as a heat sink to suck away the body heat and exchange it with the cold of the ambient temp the rock is at. It goes down the various ways your body loses heat in a variety of situations.

Izzy makes a good point.

Even in a true non-survival situation, keeping your bottom off cold surfaces can go a long ways between being warm and cold.

I carry one these bum pads with me at all times in the backpack. These pads which are 9.5" x 17.5" x .75" folded, can not only be used to keep your bum warm, but other areas such as a foot pad to keep your feet directly off snow etc. The pad also comes in very handy to slip between your back and a jacket on cooler nights when sitting around the campfire as usually the front of you is warm from the fire but your backside is not.

Also while carried in the pack, the pad serves as a cushion against gear that sometimes bulge through the pack and rubs against your back.

For $10.00 (x2) these pads are one of the best gear investments I have ever made.

John Lubbock