Originally Posted By: Arney
One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train.

This is an excellent point.

Our new office is about two blocks from the train station. It seems doubtful that I could walk to the train station but not be able to walk back -- and my keycard is good for after-hours access. The keycard system is on a UPS so I would presumably be able to get in and out for at least the first few hours of a power outage.

I'm originally from New York City and I know Grand Central well. I can say that my station is closer to Grand Central than to a covered platform.

Originally Posted By: Crowe
A prybar of some type makes sense to me for a train kit, doors might get stuck/jammed/unpowered.

How about a Mini-Prybar or a Nail Puller ?

I've previously been of the opinion that I couldn't afford the weight or space for a prybar big enough to be useful, and that I couldn't afford the cost for a titanium bar. I do carry a Leatherman Wave as well as a very strong screwdriver, both of which can be used for some degree of prying, especially together.

However, that Vaughan-Bushnell Mini-Prybar looks quite appetizing. It's light and big enough to be useful. It's cheap enough for me to throw one in my next Amazon order and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

I have a couple of Nail Pullers, and I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight -- they're heavier than the Mini-Prybar and not shaped as well.

Quote:
A N95 mask would be good to pack, as would some swimming goggles (for dust), but you have a bandana and sunglasses, so should be okay

I do have an N95 mask. Hopefully my sunglasses would suffice for any dust.