Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
filter bottle (like a Sawyer) and nested metal cup

It's possible that I could find a metal cup to nest with my Nalgene. I'm reluctant to add either bottle weight or reduce water capacity by getting a filter bottle, the Potable Aqua tabs are very small and light and can serve the same purpose.

Quote:
upgrade trauma kit...compression bandage, hemostatic gauze, irrigation syringe, burn dressing

My first aid kit is already the single bulkiest piece of preparedness gear in this bag. While the SWAT-T in the Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit isn't the best tourniquet or the best pressure dressing, it can be pressed into service for either purpose. I can create a field-expedient irrigation syringe with one of the ziplocks (one for the FAK, one for sesame bars, one for gum and candy, one for the radio) if I need to. I should add some QuickClot gauze, though.

Quote:
not knowing your location or predisposition..upgrade personal protection

Sunglasses (which I didn't mention), dust mask, and gloves make sense to me. What would you suggest I add?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I prefer to standardize on one battery type, so that my headlight (PT EOS) can become a battery carrier for my LD01 if necessary.

I've made the decision to mostly use CR123A and 18650 batteries (my 18650 lights will take 2xCR123A at need). The 1xAAA form-factor works better for lights that get stashed in small kits. In my mind the benefits of carrying both outweigh the detriments. I recognize that I'm not 100% rational about flashlights.

Quote:
You can get a really rugged battery carier for 123s at CountyComm; I would prefer that to plastic wrap.

The battery came individually shrinkwrapped. I'll think about getting the CC carrier and adding the bulk. If you're thinking of the Delrin case, I remember thinking that it was too spendy.

Quote:
I would consider a lightweight hooded jacket - my current selection is a Patagonia Houdini, weighing all of 4 oz...

I often carry a rain shell (mine is a packable Columbia) -- it works in a large range of temperatures if I also have a fleece and a hat (and my fleece has a dedicated hat that is always either on my head or in its pocket). It's cold enough now that I'm wearing my parka, so I leave the rain shell behind.

How small does the Houdini pack down? My packable Columbia is almost perfect other than not packing down as small as I'd like.

Quote:
I would throw in some lengths of small cordage (braided mason's twine) to expand the utility of the heatsheet and poncho in sheltering, and for other purposes.

Yes! Cordage is an area where I could do better. The Fox 40 comes with a thin neck lanyard but it's too short. I have some caustic green accessory cord that would work well for this.

Quote:
Do you have any cash stashed away? That could be useful.

I always have at least two hundred dollars in cash. I've been avoiding stashing cash in my laptop bag, but it might make sense for me to start.

Quote:
I am intrigued by the similarities between your kit and what I have more haphazardly assembled in my work bag - dustmask, work gloves, split pea lighter, early model Wave, etc.

Great minds think alike :-).

Quote:
I also acquired and keep handy CountyComm's midsize EOD breaker bar - literally a sharpened prybar. Haven't had to put it to serious use yet.

I have a full size breacher bar in my BOB (in my car), but not in my laptop bag. I don't think I can afford one that's big enough to be useful yet light enough to be worth the weight. I've seen some cool-looking titanium wrecking bars but I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight even if I could afford one right now.