In April of 2010 (http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post199996) I took on a new job that involves commuting by train. I sought the forum's advice on what I could carry.

To recap, I live in the far suburbs and often take the commuter rail to work in the city center. I'm limited in the weight and bulk of what I can carry. I'm most concerned about a transportation disruption that leaves me stuck on the train overnight or otherwise unable to get home.

The kit has evolved a little bit since I first posted here, this is the current list:

• one liter Nalgene, full of fresh water
  • sesame bars **
  • spare CR123A battery in a plastic wrapper, suitable for my primary EDC flashlight (which is a 4Sevens Quark 123 R5)
  • 4Sevens Prism kit to turn the Quark into a headlamp
  • iTP A3 EOS Upgrade 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Fenix E01 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Countycomm "split pea" lighter
  • A couple of large paperclips
  • eight Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle in blaze orange
  • A small amount of duct tape
  • Sawyer sunblock with bug repellant spray
  • Dust mask
  • bandanna
  • mechanics gloves
  • Heatsheets 2 person emergency blanket
  • emergency poncho
  • large contractor bag
  • Countycommm "ETFR" small radio with earbuds
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004) **
  • screwdriver with bits in hollow handle **
  • Preon 2 S3 Ti **
  • cable ties **
  • small FAK including Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit
  • sync/charge cables and AC power cube for my iPhone **
  • 2 Ah lithium polymer battery with cables to charge my iPhone or many other devices
  • earplugs **
  • facial tissue **

** indicates something I carry for work that can be pressed into service for emergencies

I don't go outside without my Ritter MiniGrip, iPhone, earbuds, Quark 123, Fisher bullet, wallet, or keys. My key ring has a 4Sevens flat whistle, a Leatherman PS4 and a 4Sevens ReVO on it. I'm very thoughtful about my footwear and outerwear, especially when I'm commuting on the train. In cold weather I always have a hat, gloves and a wool Buff. I keep a small umbrella in my bag at all times, and I'll carry a better one if I'm expecting rain.

It may be excessive to carry two flashlights on my person and three flashlights in my bag. I could get rid of the E01 but it's a perfect spare battery carrier and doesn't weigh much or take up too much space. I figure that I could lend out or give away flashlights if I needed to.

Beyond that, where can I save weight or space? What should I add that I don't already carry?