I read the investigation report and it made quite an impression. Its restrained and factual style made the tragedy that much more heart-wrenching and horrible.

Then, I read some of the comments here, and I am dumbstruck. It seems like people having been laying in wait, just ready to pile on the poor dead victim. "She was stupid and should have known better".

What should she have "known better"? This was either the first, or one of the very first, documented fatal wolf attacks in North America, ever. So maybe she should have known there were wolves around. But who would have thought there was even a remote chance of someone traveling a road in broad daylight would get eaten by wolves? Apparently some of the armchair Alaskan experts feel they could have predicted such a freakish and unheard-of event.

It was basically unthinkable. The first time someone gets gored by a whitetail deer while gardening in their back yard, will you people say, "Well there are deer everywhere. She should have known better. She was stupid and deserved to die. Good for our gene pool."

This was an informative article. I learned something I didn't know previously. And some of the information shared here in the follow-up has been helpful. But some of the comments have been truly shameful. Shame on you.

David