There always seems to be a typical sequence of posts following an incident of this type, which is often taken straight from news accounts, which often omit relevant details and information.

We, fully informed and knowledgeable in matters of survival, then state and categorize their mistakes, generally listed as deviations from the Established Principles as listed in the Survival Manual, which we can all recite by heart.

Sometimes the criticism becomes astonishingly harsh and bitter. I wonder why sometimes.....

Posting and discussing these tragedies can be useful and informative and as cautionary tales, they can inform us. When I began hiking and climbing, it really helped me to read the analytical and informed accounts in Accidents in North American Mountaineering, the annual publication of the American Alpine Club.

I would like to think that we can ponder tragic situations of this type without dissing the unfortunate participants. The is very easy to do, but it doesn't move analysis forward. It does allow you to conclude that they were defective or uninformed, while we, embracing the Established Principles, are among the blessed. That might be just a little too simplistic.

I think if any of us lost our spouse (particularly in a 60 year long relationship - how many of us have a chance at that these days?) that would be plenty of tragedy enough, without the heartless comments of strangers.

Anyway, it is the Christmas season - joyeux noel and all that. Peace