Giving children their own pack (brightly colored with reflective trim) -- not overloaded -- is excellent strategy. Camping vacations could also be used to educate as well as entertain.

Have these discussions on the trail. Show the kids how not to get lost and what to do if it happens. Build their confidence and skills.

Have these discussion at the shopping mall. What they should do if separated from you in an urban environment.

I grew up camping and one of my earliest treasures was a compass -- when I was 7 years old. Orienteering would bolster not just survival skills but basic math.

When I was growing up in Los Angeles (1960s-70s), we had stainless ID bracelets that we (my brother and I) wore religiously. I'm presuming that was some school-based program but am not sure on that.

I still have that bracelet. What tiny wrists I had....

Let's see, backpack contents for 6-year old:

whistle
tiny, super-lightweight LED light (Petzl e+light would be perfect)
light stick
blaze orange bandanna
written instructions (laminated, in kid-speak) on what to do if lost in the woods and in the city
nutrition bar (not so yummy they'd want to eat it like a Hershey bar)
bandaids
pen and paper
garbage bag
(with practice on using as a poncho)
Kleenex packet (toilet paper and runny nose)

That wouldn't weigh much. Perhaps the adults should periodically update the backpack with a new comic book that would keep the child occupied, in one place for a bit and not focused on fear.