having own a number of AR-7 by numerous makers over the last 40 years, i'm sorry to have to disagree with hikermor, but i personally can't recommend them for survival use. they don't handle particularly well, all had poor triggers, magazines aren't impressive, accuracy so-so, and quality ranged from very-poor to just ok.

while the 10/22 is about the most reliable 22LR auto rifle made, and the magazines are high-quality-yet-inexpensive, they are somewhat limited by what reliably functions though them (ie: while one can hand-feed a 22CB short, it isn't fast, fun or easy).

i've owned boatloads of other autos, bolt actions, single shot bolts, break-opens, combo 22lr/shotguns, and levers during this search.

after trying everything i could get my hands on since the 70's, i settled on the lever-action marlin 39A series as my "survival" rifle.

my favorite fodder for it is CCI's subsonic 22LR #0056 that is far quieter than any pellet rifle i've owned (and quieter than many suppressed firearms). and my old mountie feeds all 17 rds, without a hitch, into one hole.

plus in recent years these levers even came in stainless steel for additional weather protection, if that's important to you.