Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
In colder weather, warming the water somewhat can be good because it will stay liquid longer.

That makes sense, thanks Jim.

How much water do you recommend using? How much of the canister should you plan on covering with water?

Thanks again.
Denis,

More coverage = more better. smile Pardon my poor English, but that's easy to remember. You want enough thermal mass to counteract cooling. More water will have more thermal mass.

As a practical consideration, 3/4 up the side should be plenty, but if all you have is a shallow dish to hold water, use it. Anything will help. The problem with the shallow dish is that it won't hold a lot of water, and the water it does hold may freeze quickly, depending on the temperature.

I've seen butter/margarine type tubs used to good effect. Place the tub on a square of closed cell foam to insulate it from the ground, put in the canister, add water, then fire up the stove. I've seen a "cozy" made out of closed cell foam used with the plastic tub, which also helps keep the water from freezing.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard talk of using a Ziploc bag to hold water to put the canister in. Can't get much lighter or more compact than that!

HJ