Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Rain!!..did someone say rain??..

Canoedogs, that looks like a fairly normal day for sea kayaking in Prince William Sound. laugh

For a tent, I use a old N Face VE-24. I've used it for > 20 years, and it is still going strong. It's a "3 person tent", so it's about right for just my wife and I. I generally take two lightweight tarps and miles of cord. I rig one tarp over the entrance to the tent, which makes a nice roomy porch for taking off wet raingear before I get in the tent. Since cooking inside the tent is not a good idea in bear country (pretty much all of Alaska), I use the 2nd tarp to rig a cooking/eating shelter some distance from my tent. If you rig them cleverly, they'll stay up in an ordinary breeze, and are easy to collapse and secure if it really starts to blow.

One more thing. No matter how careful you are, when camping in an extended period of rainy weather your stuff will slowly get damper and damper. In our climate, it can sometimes rain for many days. However, as the series of fronts move through, between fronts we sometimes get "Sun Breaks" which last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Folks in the Pacific NW will know what I'm talking about. When we do get a sun break, no matter how brief, I always try to get stuff out to dry, and open up the tent to let some air through.