I like to think of it as rain management - rain happens, you get wet, its a matter of degree. If you live where it rains and is cold, you could be miserable and maybe even die, so its best to keep the wetness to a minimum. Some ideas I've used:

- hike with an umbrella. Don't knock it, if there's room on the trail you can stay bone dry.
- invest in really good raingear. I love my Teva eVent jacket, it goes almost everywhere I do. I also have an Eddie Bauer hard shell BC-200 which is a really impressive jacket that I use more for snow than rain climates, but I was exposed out in 45 minutes of soaking rain the other day and it kept me dry.
- layers. Good wool underwear will save body heat even when wet. Carry spares of all layers when hiking, and change into them when you stop for the night.
- rain tarp. This seems to me to be a must for PNW camp sites. Learn to pitch tarps over your cooking area, it gives you some room to move around, converse and do camp stuff without standing in the rain. 10x10 or even larger - ultralighters swear by silnylon for weight, I actually like the Kelty tarps, they are heavier, less expensive, and every bit as bomber.
- a good tent. Goes without saying. You don't want it to leak or you can have a miserable night. Don't forget, don't pitch it in low lying areas where the rain may puddle, you'll wake up in a stream.
- wear a hat with a brim. I wear glasses and I really don't like wet or foggy lenses. Some folks swear by Seattle Sombreros, I think they are akin to the Urban Sombrero but whatever keeps you dry. I like a basic boonie hat given the water treatment.