I've seen my neighbors come together and help each other out on numerous occasions. We had the worst snow storm on record last year, coldest temperatures on record & we had a significant ice storm just a couple of years ago that left a huge percentage of homes without power for days to weeks. People who could stay in their homes kept watch over houses that were empty. People with generators kept food frozen for folks that didn't have power. Several people kept portable heaters running in empty homes to keep pipes from freezing.

The only troublemakers that I recall during all those issues was a carload of thugs who were obviously looking for easy pickings during the protracted power outages following the ice storm. The presence of those of us keeping an eye on things was enough to motivate them to move on. My experience has always been that there are more helpful people than harmful ones.

We all know that news agencies report issues that grab peoples attention. A group of people coming together and helping each other out just isn't very exciting I suppose.