Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I don't see a decent shelter component in there. Every leader in the pack should have a basha/poncho/tarp on them. With fixing. Something happens, you need to get the kids out of the wind/sun/rain fast.

Thanks Leigh. You're right about the urgancy that could potentially arise. Lightening is one great example. On these shorter hikes, it's less likely, as we are very responsive to the weather and, with the younger Scouts, are likely to cancel the outting if the forescast is bad and the skies look to be argreeing.

Nonetheless, I need to be prepared. I've got a heatsheet, mylar blankets and contractor-sized garbage bag. Along with the string and duct tape in my kit, and the rope and tarp that's always in the group kit, I should be in good shape to construct something.

NOTE:

I should have given a better inventory of the group kits. Sorry. We carry two. One has a large thermos of hot chocolate, granola bars, mugs and FAK. The other has FAK, PSK, rope, tarp, a few emerg ponchos, extra lanyards with whistles, extra flashlights, 2 way radios,etc. We ask the parents to take turns carrying these, and inventory them with the parents before we hit the trailhead.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA