Originally Posted By: clearwater
Seems like a lot of kids have severe allergies these days.

An Epi-Pen as a backup to any a child carries could make a big
difference. I have seen one fail before.

We do have on youth who is allergic to all black and yellow flying stingers. (Bees, wasps, hornets, etc.) His mom is a nurse at Toronto Sick Kids so is very prepped. He has his own backpack with 2 epipens and a cel phone in it. The drill with him is to jab and call 911 and jab again if things get worse before the ambulance arrives. He knows how to adminster it himself and we all know how to do it if he's can't.

Also have a youth who has asthma. He's got puffers and, again, know how to adminster them himselves. We're trained to watch and know when he needs to take a breather and when to encourage him to use those puffers. (One's pre-emptive and one's for a full blown attack, and it's important to help him remember the difference.)

As Scout leaders, we're not permitted to administer meds except in the most dire of circumstances, and only as our medical training allows. Following that protocol, I keep my personal meds with me, as well as meds for my son. I've always got extra to share with any parent that requests it but am not a walking pharmacy, especially on short hikes.

Edited by bacpacjac (11/10/11 12:59 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA