TeacherRO,

A question or two first. What kind of hunting? Cooler north of where? Hunting boar in North Florida is a LOT different from hunting phesant in north Nebraska, which is even more different from hunting Elk in north Montana. All of these call for different packs.

In a general sense I agree with the information you have already been given, but I like to look at the pack in a slightly different way. There are three sets of "stuff" in your pack, although some of them work in more than one set. First is the things you need for everyday in the field - the stuff you WILL use. Water, lunch (for me a pot, tea cup and matches) spare socks, TP, jacket, maps and compass, etc. Then there is the stuff you need for what you are planning to do - Rifle, ammo, knife, game bags, gauntlets, wet naps, etc. This is the stuff you hope to use.

The third catagory is those things you hope you DON'T use. The dedicated survival stuff. This includes your PSK in a shirt or pants pocket, your FAK, survival matches and additional fire starters plus tinder, shelter (including clothing) for a night out, etc. It often includes backups for many of the things you carry for the first two reasons as well.

I will assume that you know what you need for the first two reasons. I can't answer them except in the most general way without the answer to my first questions. The last reason is, I think, what you are asking about. My criteria for this last group is that I can spend a safe - if not comfortable - night out in the worst weather possible. I need to augment my daytime clothing with additional pieces suitable for nighttime temps in whatever shelter I carry or can provide from the environment. Then I wish to be found in the morning when people come looking for me (they will, I leave a good trip plan).

Now to something of a list for Fall/Winter -
Your 10 - 20 :-) essentials,
a shelter appropriate for the weather (from a heavy duty reflective sheet to a bivi bag to a tarp or forester tent to a tent),
an insulating layer (blanket, poncho liner, sleeping bag, etc) enough to help the daytime clothing become appropriate for the night,
some ground insulation (situpon, thermarest chair, mattress)
and dinner and breakfast (in cold weather food is critical for maintaining temperatature, only this and a fire add heat).
Several ways of making fire for warmth, companionship and warm food.
a trip plan.
several means of finding my way home (for me this is usually part of my basic gear and/or my reason for being in the woods) map & compass, GPS.
several means of summoning help (whistle, mirror, lights, radio, PLB, cell phone)

I consider these the minimum for cold weather protection. After you spend a few nights out you may too. Many people consider me an "over-achiever" in survival gear (my words, not theirs). I have spent too many unintended nights out to consider less.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (11/09/11 07:32 PM)