>>Stranger in a Stange Land is the One Heinlein book I absolutely hated - Most of his other stuff (particularly the "juveniles") I love<<

I'm pretty much in that camp. Contrary to the impression I seem to have given, there's a lot of Heinlein novels I don't like at all- a fair amount of his later work just seems self-indulgent, to put it mildly. As I've mentioned before, there seem to have been unfortunate health reasons behind some of that. I don't much care for "Evil", "Job", "Beast", "Friday", "Cat", etc.

When "Stranger" came out it disappointed many Heinlein fans, who felt it was by far his most uncharacteristic. At the time I spent a great deal of effort trying to understand it, feeling I must be missing something... and, of course, it became a counterculture "cult" favorite. We didn't know at the time it was a precursor to later work. I've never developed any affection for it.

I think many, but not all, of the "juveniles" are just excellent. Other than "Tunnel", I still enjoy "Have Spacesuit Will Travel", "Red Planet", "Citizen of the Galaxy"...

There are also number of the "adult" novels I do like. "Orphans of the Sky", "Glory Road", "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" , "Farnham's Freehold"... none of them are "unflawed", but I've never read any fiction that was...