My bivy is probably a bit on the heavy side (650 grams) - but it is heavy duty. I also complement or alternate with a sturdy trash bag, a disposable rain poncho and a AMK bivy bag.

I've read this thread with great interest and I have very little to add to a subject that I find very important.

Just one note of caution: Don't have too high expectations of breathable materials:

- Breathable materials breathe at their best when you have a temperature gradient, such as a tight fitting goretex jacket.

- Even the best breathable materials are what I call "fatigued breathers". I.e. even the best materials don't really breathe nearly ENOUGH. Particular in a bivy bag setting (where the temperature gradient is much less than in a tight fitting jacket).

My personal opinion is that condensation will form inside ANY waterproof bag that you wrap around you and sleep outside in chilly weather - no matter how breathable the material claims to be. Your body is at 100F and lets out a certain amount of water vapor all the time. The inside of the bivy bag is pretty close to the outside temperature. Condensation is inevitable.

Personally I wouldn't bother with breathable bivy bags until they have a well proven track record for keeping you dry for prolonged periods that otherwise cause massive condensation.

As always, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong smile

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/28/11 05:39 PM)